Study Abroad Office
Institute of Social Sciences
Departmental Coordinator for International Affairs
Exchange and Erasmus Students
The Institute of Social Sciences holds a wide range of international partnerships all over the world and in Europe in the context of the Erasmus program. Bachelor and master students from our partner universities can study at Osnabrück University for one or two semesters within our regular study programs and obtain ECTS points (no degrees will be awarded to exchange students). To come to Osnabrück University please follow the application procedure for exchange and Erasmus students.
- First, students need to apply for studying abroad at their home university.
- Before students can directly apply to Osnabrück University they need to be officially nominated by their home university. The international coordinator should send the nomination via email to our International Office to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure to send the nomination well before the application deadline. The nomination should include information about the student’s name, current study program at home university, level of study (bachelor, master), proposed period of study (autumn semester, spring semester, whole year stay), subject area.
- After the nomination information has been send, exchange and Erasmus students need to complete the online application and send the supporting documents by post.
- Application deadlines: July 01 for the following winter semester (beginning in October), January 01 for the following summer semester (beginning in April)
- There is no need to include proof of German language proficiency in the nomination or application, but our partner universities are supposed to select students who meet the required level (German B1).
- The main language of instruction at Osnabrück University is German, especially in bachelor programs. However, there is a small number of courses in English offered each semester.
- Exchange and Erasmus students can enroll in all courses on their level of study (bachelor or master) at our Institute of Social Sciences (other departments may have different policies and restrictions about course choices). Depending on the student’s background and subject at the home university it is possible to also take some courses from other departments and institutes.
- Course List Institute of Social Sciences (based on the core curriculum at the Institute of Social Sciences; additional elective courses each semester)
- A course catalogue including all courses and study programs at Osnabrück University can be downloaded here ("Veranstaltungsverzeichnis")
Learning Agreement and Course Enrolment
- Students will enroll in courses through our online course registration system (stud.ip) after arrival during the Welcome Week.
- To ensure the enrolment for courses with limited capacities it is highly recommended to send a Learning Agreement well in advance before the start of the semester to the Study Abroad Office at the Institute of Social Sciences (Mareike Tudor, email@example.com). The course selection can still be modified at the beginning of the study at Osnabrück.
- Pre-sessional German language course "Studying and living in Osnabrück" (for international students and exchange students, fee-based)
- During each semester our language center offers a wide range of free German language courses on different levels. There will be a placement test at the beginning of the semester.
- Exchange students from partner universities can apply for accommodation in the student dorms operated by Studentenwerk Osnabrück (Student Services) through the International Office.
Services for International Students
- Our service sites offer information about visa and entry requirements and your arrival in Osnabrück. You can also find information about accommodation and insurance. And last but not least check out our tips for culture and leisure activities!
- At the beginning of each semester, the International Office runs a Welcome Week for new international students. They are given an overview of Osnabrück University and the city and are given the chance to get to know other students. International students are strongly urged to participate in the Welcome Week.